Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How Long til Summer's Over????

Well, it's almost that time of year. The time for my favorite commercial to start running, the one from Staples. The dad is taking his 2 kids back to school shopping, they are walking behind the cart with the saddest looks on their little faces. And dad is, what can only be described as prancing; in his attempt at slow motion no less; around the cart. He is tossing school supplies into the buggy and just smiling. And to top it off the song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is playing. I tell you I laugh out loud every time it comes on, and this in turn really ticks my kids off. Tee he, tee he.

I'm starting to get that "I must get organized" feeling. I' don't know if it's just that summer is comming to a close and I feel like I have to clean up all the junk that my 3 little pigs have gotten out. Or a way of dealing with all of the things in my life that I can't control. Hey, that's a thought! If I could just come to terms with the fact that I will never be able to keep up with this house when all of the kids are home, unless I turn into some evil dictator mother that my kids hate and are afraid of, life would be soooo much easier. This "illness" I have really is genetic. Oh don't worry, my mom and I have talked about it at length. We both know that it's a problem, I have it, she has it and I bet grandma did too.

And it's not like I don't have role models, really good moms around me that seem to have gotten this "illness" under control. Funny though, they are all on my husband's side of the family...what was I saying about it being genetic? I's so difficult for me to make that break. My head tells me one thing and my heart tells me something else. Oh well, such is life I guess.

Lots of things have happend around here in the last week or so, I've been too busy to right. (Heather, please refer to above paragraphs.) Let's see, my Bozo's cousin Emily married her long time sweetie, Jacob, on July 14. What a wedding!! Megan was one of the flower girls. Both she and Emma, her cousin, were beautiful. And I have the pictures to prove it! The wedding went off without a hitch, well except for the forgotten grape juice for communion. It's ok though, no one really noticed, we all just thought that they drank it like a shot.

I found myself replaying my own wedding in my head, I know who doesn't. But not for the normal reasons. These two just seem so much older and more mature than Bozo and I were. Looking back we were so completely clueless. I could not wait to get married, go on the honeymoon and get back to play house. Now don't flip out! I'm not saying that I got married just to play house. I am saying that that is what I was looking forward to the most. I still had a year of college to complete, but I could not wait to have a house, go grocery shopping for the two of us, fix what I wanted for dinner and yes, even clean my house. Maybe I just wanted to be on my own, just me and my sweetie. Emily and Jacob seem to be so much more prepared for what life is really going to entail. (Emily really is a planner though.) I hope and pray that both she and Jake can keep the level headedness they both have now as they enter into this new phase of life. I hope they enjoy all of the little every day things. The silence, the neat and clean home, the dinners alone, the sleeping through the night...gee, you would think I have 3 little kids or something.

Moving right along...we took a little vacation last weekend. We went to Pa. to visit Butch and Bonnie or Uncle Butch and Aunt Bonnie and we affectionately call them. Mom and Dad met them when they were all first married and living in Norfolk, Va. Both Dad and Butch were stationed there. They, mom and Bonnie, would clean their little houses in the morning then walk across the street to the beach every afternoon. What a life! Anyway, they stayed close through all these years. So we went to visit. They set up their pop up camper in the yard for us to stay in and let me tell you, my kids loved it! We told them we were camping. It is a really nice little pop-up. I think I could live in one, you know, after my divorce. JUST KIDDING! What I meant to say was when the kids all move out. Bozo and I will just take off and drive. All over the country, that would be so cool.

We tried to swim in their new pool, but the water was a little chilly and the fact that it got down to 50 degrees the night before did not help matters. The kids did finally get in after lunch and swam for awhile, we adults just sat on the sunny deck and watched. For dinner we all went to Chuck E. Cheese, the adults were thrilled! But my kids were so excited! We had never taken them to a real Chuck E. Cheese, just Valley World's of Fun, ugh! They squealed with delight and chanted "where a kid can be a kid" all the way there. We did have tons of fun. The moms went to Macy's afterwords for a quick shopping trip. I found a few things for school for the kids. When we got back to the camper the guys had a fire going and we roasted smores. The kids passed out in bed right after and we got to have some adult conversation around the fire until we crashed around midnight.

Saturday morning we headed for Idlewild. I was so excited. When Nathan and I were kids, mom and dad took us to Storybook Forest. Somewhere there is a picture of me standing beside one of the 3 little pigs and this little pig had on green Chuck Taylors! I was appalled. The kids had so much fun, I am going to order the pictures today. Well, kids screaming, gotta go, more later.

No comments: